Tuesday, January 5, 2010

card by me - card by my guy


Finished another card for the Card a Day Challenge over at 2Peas....It is for my Dad's birthday coming up next week. It was fun to make! The challenge was:

1/5 - "Happy Bird Day" - Inspiration: Bird, a square card, and/or sentiment in a circle using 2 different fonts

Last time I combined a few different parts of challenges from different days. This time I used quite a bit from the challenge for today.

Here's how I did it:
  1. Cut out and layered the papers (green cardstock and pattered paper by Basic Grey - Eskimo Kisses).
  2. Stamped the branch & leaves (from Hero Arts "Sweet Owls") onto the cream cardstock rectangle with black Staze-on.  
  3. On a scrap piece of cream cardstock, I stamped the owl (from Hero Arts "Sweet Owls") twice and the cupcake and candle (from Basic Grey) once with the same ink. 
  4. Cut out just the eyes of one owl, flipped them and glued them down onto the other owl. The goal was to be able to draw in the black parts of the eyes myself so they were looking up at the cupcake.
  5. Cut out the cupcake and layered owl and attached them, one on each branch and then colored and painted them with watercolor pencils and glimmering watercolors. 
  6. Punched a circle out of white cardstock and hand wrote "Happy Birthday" in black pen.
  7. Stamped "Dad" in the center with green ink (Studio G alphas).
  8. Attached the circle sentiment using dimensional adhesive.
  9. Used a distressor on the edges of the patterned paper, inked the edges of the green and cream layers and attached the layers to the khaki Paper Source card.
It was a fun card to make! I had wanted to use those new owl stamps on a birthday card for dad so it kind of worked out that today's challenge incorporated birds.

Cary also has been asking me to photograph the card he made me for Christmas. It has become a tradition. He "kicks me out" of the room where my art desk is and he uses my supplies to make me my card. I love them. This year's really impressed me! Clever and simple in getting it's point across. I really love it!


Here's how he said he created it:
  1. Handcut and layer cream cardstock to create the illusion of the desert sand dunes.
  2. Hand draw stick figure "wise men" and used metallic pens to indicate the "gifts."
  3. Use a silver sharpie to indicate the stars.
  4. Place all layers onto a dark green card.
I LOVE IT! It's a keeper....

and so is he!

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

Natty said...

Oh that owl card is seriously sweet! I just cannot get enough of owls... hehe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails